Sep 28, 2010

On being a SAHM....

Here I am, on day two of being a SAHM. Yesterday was a huge day for me because it was the first day of being here without Eric around to help out. I would be lying if I said I wasn't afriad! My friend Jill blessed me with a visit and made me some lunch. It was good to be able to visit with someone who knew what I was going through.

Yesterday morning Jenna did great...was calm and alert and active, then she hit a wall by mid day and was fussy. Eric came home around 1 something and later we went with Jenna to the hospital so she could get her foot pricked for her two week test. While we were in the waiting area at the lab there were two women there. One woman was waiting and talked about our little girl with us. The other was an older lady who noticed we had a baby and asked if it was a boy or a girl. (Since the flowery green pink daisy hat wasn't obvious....nor the brown and green and pink spotted blanket..) She went on and on about how our girl needed to wear pink, always wear pink and how we should tie a bow on our car seat so everyone would know she's a girl right away. I just smiled and nodded. What else could I do? :) The other lady was like yeah I knew it was a girl (cause it was obvious). Anyways.... Jenna and I went in and she got her foot stuck. She cried and I was trying to prepare myself for waterworks since I heard it was the hardest thing a mom would have to go through this early on or something.

Surprisingly I wasn't emotional at all. I just focused on calming my baby and being there for her. I guess I tend to take the strong approach to things like this because I feel the baby needs to see a strong calm mom to be able to calm down herself. Eventually once we got her in the car seat she calmed down. Then I noticed a huge wet spot on my shirt...and that she was wet too. Yep...she peed on me during the shot. Awesome. Glad I packed that extra shirt for myself in the car...no wait... I didn't. At least I packed an extra onsie for her. We went to the doc's office next.

Since we were at the end of the day the doc was quite backed up. We waited a good 40 minutes or so until we were in the room. Once there I changed the baby girl, they weighed and measured her and we waited a little longer for the doc. Unfortunatley Jenna wasn't cool with waiting to eat. So I made up the bottle of formula I brought with us just in case, but she needed more so I ended up breastfeeding in the room. Of course that's when the doc came in. The doc said Jenna was looking great and finally above her birth weight. The doc also approved of us giving her gas meds if she needs them and said that us having her in the swing sometimes at night is totally fine. It made me feel better as a parent haha.

Jenna did okay the rest of the day. Of course at night she decided she wanted to be fussy and not sleep.... but it's getting a little better. Ended up feeding her some of the bmilk from the fridge last night plus some formula. I hurt so much that I didn't want to nurse. Hopefully we'll get some answers on Wednesday.

Today is going alright. We went to the grocery store and she did great. Got what we needed and were out of there without any meltdowns. Came home nursed a few times and she's been in and out of the swing. It's nice to have a safe place for her to be so I can have some me time, or cook or go to the bathroom. Soon I'll figure out a carrier for her..

But things are getting a little easier even on day two. The SAHM stuff isn't scaring me as much and seems doable at this stage. I just wish I had more things that I could do with her at this stage of her development. We're trying to use sign language when we can so she sees that. I read the little bible book to her.... I think we'll start singing some more with educational songs. :) Seems better than watching TV. ALthough we do that as well.

Okay I am tired. I might take a nap while I can! Peace Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment