We met with the Lactation specialist at the hospital today and when she weighed Jenna, it showed that she gained 5 or 6 ounces! She had me breastfeed Jenna and then weighed her again. While I breastfed she gave us hints and tips about it. When Jenna was weighed it showed that she was indeed getting enough of what she needed and if anything adding feedings would help supplement the rest until my milk gets in.
So the new plan, she told me to do the skin to skin thing and to feed Jenna often, like way often. So that my milk will come fully in. So that's what we plan on doing! I will pump some or hand express some to supplement and let Eric give that to her. She kinda showed me how to use my pump, so we'll see how that helps us.
Sometimes it takes awhile for your body to adjust to pumping. Since breast feeding is a completely emotional thing, it doesnt help if you feel like a cow hooked up to machine. Dont stress if the first few days you arent pumping much, it will likely improve every day. It helps to pump is a quiet, isolated, low stress and dark room.
ReplyDeleteAnd did they discuss fenugreek with you? It is a breastfeeding herbal medication (safe) that helps increase your supply. It has the fun side effect of making you smell like a pancake.
Good luck! Its so encouraging she is getting enough at your first post-hospital lactation meeting. I always got the news.. Um, you fed for 20 minutes and he only got an ounce. I tried everything and wasnt able to do it without supplementing. I am sending luck and prayers your way, its an amazing bonding experience and the Oxytocin released- rocks!