Oct 22, 2010

New Traditions...

So having a child has made me think about what I'd like my house to be like. It's been quite the transition to realize that this little girl looks to ME as her mom. Sounds silly...but I realize she's going to grow up and I am the one (and her daddy) that's setting the stage for how she views things. That includes holiday traditions.

Luckily she's a little young to be thinking about what we're actually doing so it's given us a bit of time to figure it out. Having a child during holiday season kinda forces you to think about things a little faster though!

So here's something I thought I'd do regarding Halloween. While I know that pumpkin carving is super fun.. I also know that's a lot of food going to rot every single year. So... this is a tradition I want to start for my family. Instead of carving a pumpkin and leaving it to rot, in these first few years we'll paint our pumpkins. Then everyone can choose what type of food they want their pumpkin to turn into (Muffins, Pancakes, Fries (haven't tried this yet), bread...etc.) and we'll cut open the pumpkins and use the meat for their special food item. That way the pumpkin is used, we figure out new recipes and we get to eat too! I think this also might work with carving depending on how great I can get at scooping out the edible insides and leaving the carving on the outside.... I still don't know how I feel about trick or treating because I don't like the idea of a candy holiday. But I do like the idea of costumes, so I think this time of year is a great time to pick out a fun costume to wear that night and the rest of the year (until the little ones (or us) outgrow them).

For Thanksgiving and Christmas I still have not a clue of what we'll do. I am VERY thankful there's a little time before that has to be figured out. Right now we take things one step at a time and pray along the way!

Blessings,
Kristine

3 comments:

  1. A fun thing you could do instead of trick or treating would be to go to your church's (if they have one) halloween carnival. She can play games and so crafts and stuff and whatever else they do at those! Or you could go reverse trick or treating and give out little cards with homeade cookies or something. Or you could just go trick or treating and then turn all your candy into the dentist (if your town does it). They pay you like a dollar or so for pound or something like that. They send the candy to the soldiers oversees I think. Then you get the fun of trick or treating but not the candy.... just some ideas. I like the painting the pumpkins though! That's smart! I don't really care for carving pumpkins, but I LOVE roasted pumpkin seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on the best part of trick or treating when the kids are little is breaking into their stash and eating all of their loot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite parts of trick-or-treating was coming home that night and seeing all the goodies we got. You could always store the candy received out of reach and then be able to control the amount of candy consumed at a time. I like your thoughts on eating the pumpkins, but there are different types of pumpkins for cooking I'd do some research which kinds to get.

    ReplyDelete