Aug 6, 2010

Freezer Meals

Most people would sit and relax on their birthday, me... I decided to take on the task of budgeting food costs and meal planning, which included making up freezer meals. I searched online and asked people for which meals they liked the best, then I compiled a list of ingredients I would need to get to make them. I tried to pick easy recipes, but I was also concerned on the taste. Because to have it be too easy and taste bland wouldn't work.

My reasons for trying this

I mentioned this endeavor on Facebook and was greeted with many cheers and warnings. Several people assumed I was creating these meals in preparation for after the baby comes, you know to eat then. I love to cook and this was a task I had not yet tried to take on. I'd heard of friends and other women who had made up a bunch of freezer meals, but it seemed daunting for some reason. My purpose for creating these meals was 1) to see if I could do it and 2) to just spend ONE day cooking to be able to not have to cook for a week or two. It sounded like a good trade-off to me. I also figured this could be a test run for when the baby does come. If it works out, then while I have help around to watch the baby (either relatives or Eric being home) I could make up some meals on that day and then not have to cook the other days that it was baby and me. :)

The results
I went out and bought all the ingredients I needed (and then some) for $65. My goal was to spend as little as possible. When I got home, I decided to make the easy recipes first. The ones that required the least amount of time and the least amount of cooking. These were the lasagna and the chicken enchilada lasagna dish. These dishes were easy because they involve layering ingredients. As long as I had all the ingredients, I just layered, let them cool and then froze them. They went fast.

The next meals I created took a little more effort. I made about six stuffed pasilla peppers and 9 stuffed bell peppers. Both of these recipes required that I cook several different ingredients and then compile the dishes. I also made two shepherd's pies. I had ingredients to make chicken soup and hamburgers, but decided that I should wait until the next day to create those.

All in all... I think I created 14 meals for 4 people for $65. Not bad! They are almost all in the freezer, other than the ones we're using immediately. It feels great to have some food options in the house and all it took was a few hours. I was pleasantly surprised that my brain worked the whole time! I was focused and could easily multi-task. I even talked with my family on the phone when they called to wish me a happy birthday! Amazing! :) I am glad God enabled me to focus!

No comments:

Post a Comment