I used to be able to clean a room within minutes. Now my cleaning takes most of the day because I am also caring for a little baby. I used to be able to take my time to cook an elaborate meal. Now I have to figure out the quickest way of cooking something healthy for my family. I used to be able to go out easily with friends. Now I've got to figure out how to take care of my little one while visiting and having a meaningful conversation. I used to do a lot of things, now those things are changing and it's a hard transition, but a necessary one.
Phillipians 2:14-15 says," 14 Do everything without grumbling or arguing, 15 so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.”a]" style="line-height: 0.5em; ">[a] Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky" This is what I must do. Yes, it's hard to care for a baby all day, clean house, do laundry and make dinner. BUT this is what I am called to do right now. I know it seems old school for some of you in the new generation, but right now I am called to be a wife and mother. My life is consumed by it and I've gotta be the best wife and mother I can be. This means taking care of the baby completely, taking care of the house the best I can, making sure my husband knows he's loved and making sure there's food made for him and the bills are paid.
It also means that I am raising my child up to know important values and gender roles. This is the old school part I was talking about. She'll see daddy go off to work during the week and see mommy doing her best to be a good wife and mother by taking care of things at home. It also means daily teaching her about our values pertaining to our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Every day I try to read to her out of her little bible. I'm starting to pray with her more and we sing little songs together. I want her to know the hope that I hold so dear. To understand how I am able to do what I do, the driving force behind it. The one that gives us life and life to the full. This is perhaps the most important task as a mom. As she grows I'll help teach her how to treat others with respect and kindness. She'll see how a man is supposed to treat a woman by the love between her daddy and I. Also the love her daddy gives her when he comes home from work. All these things work together for the good.
Now, while I say gender roles, I don't think it's bad that women have to work sometimes. Or if daddy is the one that needs to stay at home. There are all types of families. But I want her to know and see the respect I have for her father for working so we can have food on the table and a place to live. I want her to see and know that I don't mind doing things because I love her and her father. The love and respect part is key. If she wants to grow up to fly airplanes or be a doctor or make things for a living...that's her choice. All I can do as a parent is instill values into her so that she can make smart informed decisions about her life.
This is the process I am in now. Learning how to be a domesticated momma who doesn't complain, doesn't argue, but loves life and loves helping her little girl grow up and her husband look forward to being with his family after work. I look forward to the next chapter that potentially includes us serving overseas so that we can show her more what it means to be a servant and how to show others love and respect in Christ.
No comments:
Post a Comment