Jun 24, 2010

3 hour Glucose Screening Test.... (This is LONG)

Today I had my 3 hour Glucose Screening Test for Gestational Diabetes. I fasted all night and barely drank anything as per the instructions over the phone. I went to the location where I thought the lab place was only to not see it listed next to the elevator. I asked a nurse looking person about it and she said they didn't do labs at this location and that the other location nearby did them. (Not posting specifics cause um...this is the internet!).

Can't judge a book by it's cover...

So I drove over to the other location not sure if I was supposed to be there. I walked inside and tried to ask whether they got the fax from my doc to avoid waiting too long. But I waited 20 minutes with the cast of characters in the waiting room. It was very interesting to say the least. There was one man who looked disheveled and almost drug addictish. He kept drinking cup after cup of water, walking outside with it and then coming back in. I guess this occured several times. Everyone in the waiting room had their guesses as to why he was drinking as much water. This was all answered when he spoke to me saying, "I had blood drawn today." Normally this would be a quiet typical statement...but the voice he used to say it striked me of someone with a mental disability. Which turned out to be true as he continued to talk to the desk people about why he was drinking so much water, "To keep my upper lip from sticking." He was waiting for a ride and I felt bad for thinking he could have been a drug addict or something else. He could have done that in the past, but goes to show you can't judge a book by it's cover!

Wrong Location...

I waited until my name was called and I went up to the desk. I asked her whether I was in the right location and whether they got the fax. They didn't get the fax and I wasn't in the right location. I mentioned that I went to the other location first but didn't see the lab name by the elevator list of occupants and that a nurse-like person told me they didn't do labs there. This was very confusing to the plebotomist and she called the other location and they faxed the info over. I realized I shouldn't have trusted some random person in a parking lot, but hey I am pregnant and fasting and stressing about the test..these things happen. I asked her about the other place cause she said they do indeed do labs there. I wanted to know about the chairs there cause the chairs at this location were very uncomfortable. The idea of spending three hours in them with all the random crazy people waiting didn't sound awesome to me. She told me the other place was much smaller and that I would most likely be more comfortable here.

In the Lab

She told me about a quiet room they have in the back and asked me whether I wanted to check it out. I went back and it had a leather recliner in it. I told her I didn't want to take the room away from people who really needed it and she told me they hardly ever need to use it. I told them to feel free to boot me out if they do need it. So I went and got the stuff out of my car and went into a lab room.

I told her about my small veins and how they told me not to drink much water beforehand. She said that usually they tell people such as myself to drink a lot of water the night before to help the lab draw. She tried one arm... swore she found a vein but it was to no avail. Of course she moved the needle all around. She tried the other arm and it worked right away. After we were done I drank the 100g of sugar stuff. I picked the lemon lime stuff cause it seemed easier to down in the first test. It wasn't that bad...it felt more sugary than the last test. They took me to the quiet room and I sat in the chair with a blanket on and took out my laptop. I bought a few movies with me and chose to watch Robin Hood: Men in Tights to bide my time.

The testing goes on....

After an hour a different plebotomist came in. She took blood easily out of my hand and I went back to my movie. She came in again and took it out of the other hand. I went back, finished the movie and went on to read some Baby Wise. When it was time for the last one... I didn't see the lady who was supposed to do it. I heard my name called and the new shift was on, which means a new person. I went into the room with her and she chose to take blood out a little below of my wrist and it was kinda painful but eh.. it went okay. After that I was on my way back home. I won't get the results right away since this lab sends it elsewhere to get tested. Maybe I'll get results tomorrow (Friday) but most likely next week.

What does this mean for me?

What does this mean for me? Well... if I don't have it great! If I do... it'll mean basically that I'll have to check my blood sugar often, go on a low sugar diet and probably exercise a bit more. If that doesn't work then they'd have me do insulin shots or something. If I get Gestational Diabetes it usually goes away after I have the baby.

What does this mean for the baby?

What does this mean for the baby? Well if I don't have it....great! If I do it means I might have a bigger baby. But restricting my diet should help with controlling the baby from growing too much. If the baby is too big it might mean for a more difficult delivery or the dreaded c-section. They'd check it after birth to make sure it's blood sugar is okay and that it's doing okay in other areas.

Treatable

This is totally treatable, so I am not too worried if I do end up having it. I was already at risk being overweight, but one thing to remember is that this happens to perfectly fit people too. It's all about how your body handles sugar and a growing baby at the same time. Cause I don't drink a lot of sugary drinks like soda, however I have been known to drink juice, eat bread and um.. have occasional ice cream treats. Like any other normal person! :) I plan on getting in better shape after the pregnancy, so that should help things too! :) Right now I am praying that the baby is okay and it was all a fluke. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment