Jul 19, 2010

Diapering :)

What are you doing for diapering?
One of the most frequent questions I've been getting these days is, "What are you doing for diapering?" Everyone seems to have their own methods, some that work, some that don't. It's been a big deal for Eric and I to figure out honestly. I thought maybe I'd be a person that was all for disposables, but the more I thought about it and the more Eric has been thinking about it, cloth seems to be a great option for us! :)

Bella Stella and Cloth Diaper Deals...

Upon researching for hours upon hours, talking with various people, we decided the first two weeks will probably be hectic and we'll go with disposable diapers most likely for those weeks. Now brings us to what cloth diapers we want to use after that. Originally we were just going to buy some Thirsties diapers and do prefolds inside of them. However, we went to a small store in Portland called Bella Stella. They've always been super friendly with us. This time they have five gdiapers and disposable liners in their used cloth diaper section for $5 each. These diapers are normally either $16-18! Eric seemed to really like them, so we got them (one size small and three medium). They also had two packages of the small liners. One for $8 each and one for $5 each.

Changing Plans...

This, in a sense, dramatically changed our plans on diapering. I wanted something Eric was on board with even though I am the one who'll most likely do most of the changing when he's at work or doing airplane stuff. So I began to look for other g diaper deals and found a great deal on craigslist for six small gdiapers for $45! Like I said before, these diapers are usually $16-18 each. We got them and the guy included the swish stick and a holder for the stick as well as extra liners! It was a fabulous deal. So what are gdiapers?

G Diapers and Liners explained (well as best as I can!)

Gdiapers are the perfect combo of cloth and disposable. You can go online to http://www.gdiapers.com/ to find out more information, but I'll give you a quick summary. These are cloth covers with snap in plastic liners that velcro shut. There are a couple of ways that you can diaper the baby after the basic cover. There are two types of liners you can use.

1. They have another liner that's disposable that goes inside the plastic liner. This liner is actually flushable and compost-able. After the baby uses it, you can rip it open put it in the toilet, swish it around and then flush it! If it's just wet and you have a compost bin, you can put it inside that. Or... you can just throw it away and not feel bad about it because it breaks down tons faster than the disposable diapers. Depending on how much the baby went, you just wipe out the snap in liner, and place a new disposable insert inside. This option is great when you are on the go and want to use a disposable diaper.
2. Instead of the disposable insert, you can put a cloth insert into the diaper. There are many options for this including using a prefold diaper and just folding it in thirds and placing it inside. Then when the baby soils the insert, you put it into your hamper, wipe out the snap in liner and place a new prefold in there for the baby to use. This is the option I will most likely use when I am at home. That way I don't have to deal with soiled diapers on the road.

The gdiapers and snug fitting and fit more easily under clothes than the other diapering options. As you can see below, they look nice when they are all complete. (Keep in mind these are used) you velcro towards the sides/back and the little g is on the back of the diaper. So cute! So because we got a deal, we are going to give these a go. If they don't work out, we'll just sell them! We will use these most when the baby is little, when the baby is bigger....


When the baby is bigger we'll use...

We plan on still using the thirsties duo wraps in a combination with prefolds. This seems like the best option all around for when the baby is a little bigger than 18lbs. This diaper cover has two different sizes so you only need around 7-10 of them total. We'll buy several prefold cotton diapers to use inside of them so we only need to wash once or twice a week. We will wait to see how well the gdiapers work for 7-18lbs before buying the thirsties covers for that size. We maybe just use them for the bigger sizes. :)

What about long trips or well dealing with the poo!?!?!?

When we are on the go for several hours at a time, we'll most likely still use disposables since we've been told they hold up a little better than the gdiapers. We'll see though! It's all trial and error at this point. But Eric is on board with cloth diapering so I am super excited. Some of you may think ewww....what about the poo?!?!!? Well..there's a secret. You just place part of a viva paper towel inside the cloth diaper and it catches the poo when it's more solid! Then you just throw the liner in the trash or toilet (depending on how much paper towel you used) and then you have just a wet diaper to deal with! It's genius. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment