So as a typical newly pregnant mommy I want to do things right. I also typically freak out that I am doing something wrong too. Sometimes I fear I'll do something wrong and miscarry, even though I well know you can't help it when you miscarry, I still worry. I hear this is pretty normal for new moms. Here are some things I am avoiding right now:
- Alcohol-Seems like it would be easy right since I don't drink a lot? Well I LOVE the taste of Baileys in a shake mmm... But for my baby I'll do anything. Even have virgin drinks aka smoothies or milkshakes. :)
- Smoking- Okay... I never smoked so this is SUPER easy for me
- Kitty Litter/Kitty-I usually made Eric do this anyhow, but even more so now that I am pregnant. Just the smell of the cat litter makes me want to vomit, even the smell of the cat. So we keep the cat in the garage as well as the kitty litter unless we let the cat outside. Hopefully we can give away our cat to make everyone happy!
- Deli Meat- So I guess there's some form of bacteria in deli meat. So...unless it's a hot sandwich and heated until the point of steaming, I am avoiding deli meat for my baby's sake.
- Papaya- Apparently some study somewhere says that papayas (and some pineapples) carry an enzyme that can be harmful to little ones. When I was in Hawaii I gagged at the smell of papaya, so I am going to go with my instincts for my body and stay away from it.
- Soft Cheeses- No more cucumber, strawberry feta/goat cheese salads for me. Unless the cheese is heated, I'll probably stay away from it.
- Household Cleaning Chemicals- This is pretty much a given. :)
- Hot Tubs- If my body temp gets above 101, that's bad news bears for the baby.
I am sure there are tons more things I am forgetting to mention, but these are on the forefront of my mind. :) I think I'll continue to be the typical first timer mom and be extra worried about things. But that's okay... I am allowed! I am just thankful I have a good husband who pulls me back to earth when I need it! :)
I didn't know papayas were harmful. Interesting. When I was pregnant with Sofia, I chewed on papaya enzyme tablets daily during the last half of my pregnancy because extra strength Tums wasn't enough to manage my heartburn. The papaya was recommended to me by a nurse. Huh. With this pregnancy my heartburn hasn't been as bad, so I've just been taking Tums every now and then.
ReplyDeleteYou can actually have feta cheese as long as it has been pasturized. In fact, the brands they sell in safeway (athenos?) are definitely pasturized. For morning sickness, try to get ginger pills. They work amazingly!
ReplyDeleteThanks Julia! Awesome about Feta...I gotta rememeber the pastuerization thing more often. JuliB- I think the papaya you would get around here would be fine, it's just if you get it closer to the source like from the grower directly sometimes that might be the issue. I just felt sick when I smelled papaya...maybe that'll change later on. :)
ReplyDelete